Labels

Life (108) Crafts (39) challenge (30) food (22) cooking (20) shopping (12) TV (9) Movies (6) gardening (6) Exercise (5) Health (5) Travel (5) computing (5) Decorating (3) weather (3)

Thursday, September 4, 2014

Trio of PS Accessories

Photo: My Penn STate accessories for the game. More on blog

I just finished my Penn State floppy hat, necklaces and purse to take to the game this weekend.  Of course I learned some things along the way and thought I'd share my 5 things I learned by making these.
  1. I started making the necklaces first while I was on a roll after the Brown's training camp.  I'm getting down to the bottom of my pile of wooden beads so I ended up enlarging the holes in most of these.  In case any of you haven't made these before, here's the drill.  Cut a strip of material, sew length-wise and turn right side out.  Then you proceed to stuff it with a marble and feed the bead on the outside of the tube.  Mine were pretty tight so the last one stayed in place.  I used my glue to help attach the crimper to the end.  What I learned from this part is not to use any more glue than I absolutely need.  I had to clean it up and put new jump rings on after the first ones broke off. 
  2. The next thing I did was make my floppy hat.  I've made one before but scaled back on the brim.  This time I left it as long as it came.  With this hat, once you get the pattern made, you're home free.  I did have one glitch and from this I learned to always store my grommet tools together with the grommets in one place, duh... 
  3. The purse was what I put off the longest, mainly because I was trying to work it out in my head first how to do it.  The pattern was only for part of it.  I wanted to add an inside pocket and an outside flap to hold cards.  All that thinking seemed to help because once I started it, I just took my time and worked through it.
  4. Believe or not the one thing I messed up on the purse was the part that was the easiest.  The strap was supposed to be 31" but that didn't seem long enough so I cut it at 34".  Well, I should have left it the full 42" like I had originally cut because it was too short.  Luckily I had another long tube that was left over from the necklaces that I could use.  Always make sure before you cut.  Remember the carpenter's rule  -  measure twice, cut once.
  5. I might be just on a roll but things are working pretty well for me lately.  Or maybe it's the attitude that I can do anything that has helped.  Every since the little landscape, I've been empowered.  I learned to keep that positive approach to my projects.

No comments:

Post a Comment